Now is your time to begin act like human being and good start is to start your spiritual journey:
Throughout the website the Spiritual Science Research Foundation (SSRF) has stressed the importance of doing regular spiritual practice.
The purpose of this section is to give you a quick understanding of what you can do to begin your spiritual journey (spiritual practice) today.
Whichever religious path or culture you come from, the Spiritual Science Research Foundation recommends three things you can do right away to begin or complement your spiritual journey.
Chanting the Name of God according to the religion of your birth Chanting a protective chant for ancestral problems Building your spiritual knowledge
1. Chanting the Name of God according to your religion of birth
We are born to the religion that is most conducive to begin our spiritual journey. Accordingly, the aspect of God that we worship depending on our religion is what is most beneficial for our spiritual growth at that stage. The various Names of God according to each religion, represent the various aspects of the one Supreme God. By repeating the Name of God according to the religion of our birth, we call upon this aspect of God and harness His divine energy. This would be akin to taking a general spiritual tonic that is most required for us.
Let us look at a few examples of the Name of the Lord we should chant, depending on the religion of our birth.
Some tips on chanting:
1. Chant however you are comfortable with: You can chant mentally or you can chant verbally or you can chant with a rosary or a mālā. You can choose whichever method you are comfortable with. 2. Any time and any place: You can chant at any time and place. For example, you can chant while going to work, while cooking or taking the dog for a walk. 3. Quantity to chant: The more you chant, the more the spiritual benefit. You can start with five minutes a day and progressively increase it to a few hours a day within a couple of months. This can be done in many sessions and while doing other things like cooking etc. as explained above. 4. Be regular with your chanting: Sincere efforts at chanting give benefits like feeling a sense of calm in your life that you have not experienced for a long time or your worldly life getting better.
The bottom line: Give this spiritual practice your best for at least 6 months and you will see the benefits in your life.
2. Chanting a protective chant for ancestral problems
In today’s world almost all of us are affected with something known as ‘ancestral problems’. This has been explained in depth in our section on Ancestral Problems.
By repeating Lord Datta’s Name (i.e. the aspect of God that protects us from these ancestral problems) we get insulated from these problems.
The exact chant is ‘Shrī Gurudev Datta’. Click here to hear the protection chant.
Tips on chanting ‘Shri Gurudev Datta’
- Quantity: We recommend the quantity of chanting Shri Gurudev Datta that is commensurate with severity of the distress experienced due to ancestral problems. Please read the article, ‘What are ancestral problems’ to understand the types of distress/problems that can happen due to our departed ancestors
- In case where no distress to mild distress is experienced, one can chant for 1 to 2 hours every day in order to avoid such trouble in future.
- In case where the distress is medium, chant for 2 to 4 hours every day.
- If the distress is severe one must chant Shri Gurudev Datta for 4 to 6 hours per day.
Note: The above quantity of recommended chanting has been increased recently. The increased duration of chanting has been recommended taking into account the rise in trouble caused by ancestors and negative energies in the current and in the coming times.
- According to your convenience: You may do this in one session or in many separate sessions.
3. Building your spiritual knowledge
Study: Regular study of the various aspects of the Spiritual science is important to help you understand the importance of regular spiritual practice and also clarify questions that you may have. We recommend that you read the following sections or articles
- Spiritual research for lasting happiness including the six basic principles of spiritual practice
- Section on spiritual practice
Note: Please feel free to share your experiences or ask any questions you may have after starting your spiritual practice.